• 1 King Cole whole duck, about 5 lbs/2.5 kg
• 1/4 tsp (1 mL) each salt and pepper
• 1 large onion, chopped
• 6 cloves garlic, minced
• 1 lb (500 g) button mushrooms, quartered
• 1 each red and green bell peppers, chopped
• 1 tbsp (15 mL) dried oregano
• 1 tsp (5 mL) dried basil
• 1/2 cup (125 mL) dry red wine
• 1 can (28 oz/796 mL) diced tomatoes
This classic flavoured stew known as “hunter’s stew” offers up chunky pieces of vegetables and duck that will become a favourite for all your guests.
Serve this dish with fettuccine pasta or mashed potatoes to soak up the rich tomato sauce.
1. Trim excess skin and fat from duck and reserve for another use. Cut duck into 6 pieces and remove backbone for another use. Sprinkle salt and pepper all over duck pieces.
2. Heat large shallow Dutch oven over medium high heat and brown duck on both sides. Remove to plate. Remove all but 1 tbsp (15 mL) of the rendered fat in the saucepan.
3. In same pot, over medium high heat, cook onion, garlic, mushrooms, peppers, oregano and basil for about 15 minutes or until vegetables are beginning to brown. Pour in wine and stir vegetables to deglaze pan. Add tomatoes and bring to boil.
4. Return duck to pot. Reduce heat, and simmer covered for about 1 hour and 15 minutes or until the duck is falling off the bone. Uncover pot and cook for another 15 minutes to thicken the sauce slightly.
Emily Richards, professional home economist, cookbook author and tv celebrity chef. for more on emily and her recipes, visit emilyrichardscooks.ca