• 500 ml (2 cups) all-purpose flour
• 125 ml (1/2 cup) cake flour
• 250 ml (1 cup/2 sticks) unsalted butter, cut into pieces
• 1 ml (1/4 tsp) salt
•75 ml (1/3 cup) ice water
• 2 containers (each 500 g/16 oz) fresh strawberries, hulled and halved
• 10 ml (2 tsp) lemon juice
• Pinch of salt
• 250 ml (1 cup) sugar, divided
• 50 ml (1/4 cup/1/2 stick) butter
• 1 bag (198 g/7 oz) dried apricots
• 45 ml (3 tbsp) cornstarch
• 50 ml (1/4 cup) water
1. Pastry: In food processor, combine flours, butter and salt. Pulse until butter is just distributed through flour. Add water and pulse again, just until distributed. Pulse 2 more times. Dough should still be crumbly and dry.
2. Pour dough onto counter. Press into rectangle (20 by 30 cm/8 by 12 inches). Fold dough in half, then use rolling pin to roll it back to a 20-by-30-cm (8-by-12-inch) rectangle. Fold dough in half again and place on a baking sheet. Cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate for 20 minutes.
3. While pastry rests, in bowl, toss together strawberries, lemon juice, salt and 125 ml (1/2 cup) of the sugar. Let sit for 10 minutes.
4. Once pastry has rested, roll it out once again to a 20-by-30-cm (8-by-12-inch) rectangle. Repeat folding and rolling process one more time, but this time roll it to a 25-cm (10-inch) round. Place dough in freezer until fruit is ready.
5. Heat oven to 200 C (400 F).
6. In 23-cm (9-inch) oven-safe skillet over medium-high heat, melt 50 ml (1/4 cup) of butter. Add remaining 125 ml (1/2 cup) sugar and cook until it turns golden -brown, 10 mins.
7. Add apricots, strawberries and any juices from bowl to pan and continue cooking on high heat until fruit is soft and begins to caramelize, 10 mins. In glass, stir cornstarch and water. Add to skillet and stir gently to mix. Bring to a boil, then remove skillet from heat.
8. Place pastry over fruit, fitting down tightly into pan. Use paring knife to cut several slits in top centre of pastry. Bake until golden brown, 30 mins. Remove from the oven and let sit 30 mins. to allow filling to set up.
9. Run a knife around the edge of skillet to loosen pastry. Place round platter or large plate over pan and carefully but quickly overturn the pan so plate is on the bottom. Lift pan off the serving plate to reveal tart. Serve warm or at room temperature.
For more, visit emilyrichardscooks.ca