HRM’s second gas leak of the day on Tuesday occurred at the top of Gaston Road in Dartmouth when a broken pipe forced police to evacuate dozens of residents.
A call came at 1:20 p.m. about the leak, and in about 30 minutes, Halifax regional fire announced that Heritage Gas had it stopped.
“It sounded like a windstorm really,” said Taylor Michaud who was working on a waterline when the pipe broke.
“It still smells really bad,” Michaud said around 2 p.m.
Alice McCarron, vice president of marketing for Heritage Gas, said contractors working on water and sewer pipes did hit one of the gas lines and ruptured it.
“(But) they pinched the line almost immediately,” McCarron said, saving more gas from escaping.
Lines of police cars, fire vehicles, and a Nova Scotia Power truck were parked along the steep road where people gathered in the shade of trees.
Charles Corbin clutched his cat, Cuddle, in his arms and waited to be told when he could get back into his apartment building.
Soon after the call, a Metro Transit bus was provided for residents to cool off in and around 3 p.m. most residents were allowed back in their homes and power was restored.
Earlier Tuesday, hundreds of people were evacuated and power was shut down to thousands in south-end Halifax due to a major gas leak Heritage Gas says was caused by a broken pipe.
“It’s actually a very rare occurrence,” McCarron said. “It just happens to be a bad day.”