Police have charged the 59-year-old driver of a tractor trailer with dangerous operation of a motor vehicle causing bodily harm after a multi-car pileup that injured five people, including three children, near Falmouth.
The accident happened around 11:30 a.m. Tuesday and four vehicles, including a tractor-trailer and a mobile home, were involved.
“We have a traffic analyst on scene and they’re doing the investigation,” said Staff Sgt. Dan Austin on Tuesday afternoon. “Road conditions were okay at the time, the weather conditions were clear.”
Austin said an adult man and woman and a three-year-old girl were hospitalized after the crash, which closed the highway in both directions.
A six-year-old boy and eight-year-old girl were both taken to the IWK Health Centre by LifeFlight helicopter.
The woman and children were all in the same vehicle, and the man was driving the tractor-trailer.
A release issued by Windsor RCMP shortly after the accident suggested the victims had suffered serious injuries, “some believed to be life-threatening.”
On Tuesday night, police announced they were charging the driver of the tractor trailer with causing the accident. The Montreal man will appear in court at a later date.
There have been 13 fatal accidents on Nova Scotia highways since June 2, and 34 so far this year, according to the provincial Department of Transportation.
The numbers are on par with last year, at 12 and 39.
A provincial Department of Transportation spokesperson said the numbers don’t fall when the weather improves.
“We do see more highway fatalities in summer than winter,” said Pam Menchenton. “Don’t let your guard down just because it’s summer.” – with files from the Hants Journal