Ricky, Julian and Bubbles were back at the liquor, but there wasn’t a beer or mixed drink in sight.
The Trailer Park Boys – Rob Wells, John Paul Tremblay and Mike Smith – were poppin’ the bubbly and mini confetti sticks on Thursday during a live announcement on their website, Swearnet.com, to celebrate the upcoming Season 8 and their acquisition of the franchise that brought them notoriety.
“We acquired everything, all the Trailer Park Boys s—,” said Smith in the announcement. “We’re going to be making season eight and the f—in’ Swearnet cameras are going to be following Ricky, Julian and Bubbles around quite a bit from this point on.”
After more than a year of negotiations, Wells, Tremblay and Smith acquired the rights to Trailer Park Boys from former producers, Mike Clattenburg, Barrie Dunn and Mike Volpe.
“While the three of us have moved on to different TV and film projects, the Boys are the only ones with the intimate knowledge and love of the show to keep Trailer Park Boys alive and well,” said Clattenburg in a release on Thursday.
The trailer park trio acquired all prior TV series, specials, the first and second movies and all combined assets and intellectual property rights. However, the deal does not include the upcoming movie, Don’t Legalize It, slated for a 2013-2014 release date.
After the 6-minute announcement, they boys took to the Swearnet Facebook page to answer questions about the upcoming season.
According to the Swearnet account, John Dunsworth will be reprising his role as trailer park supervisor Jim Lahey, Sam Tarasco will return as the greasy caveman Sam Losco, and Conky the ventriloquist puppet may even make a guest appearance.
The series previously shown on Showcase wrapped up its seven-year run in June, 2007.
Season 8 is slated to start filming on July 17, and will premiere on the boys’ website, Swearnet.com.