Support workers at Edmonton Catholic Schools will continue their strike Thursday, after overwhelmingly rejecting the board’s latest offer.
The results were tallied Wednesday night and, after two days of voting, 546 union members rejected the offer and just 211 accepted it.
Going into the two days of voting, the board said they were optimistic and were saddened with the results.
“It is a very disappointing day for the district, a very disappointing day,” said chair Debbie Engel.
The union rejected a similar offer last week with just over half of members voting, but the board made slight modifications to their proposal and asked the union for this vote.
The union rejected that request, but the Alberta Labour Relations Board ordered this week’s vote.
Union spokesperson Daniel Burrell said they strike has brought the members together and they are demanding a fair deal.
“They came together as a solid determined group that now knows they can stand up and seek a fair and just agreement,” he said.
The contract expired in August 2011 and the board if offering a 4.54 per cent raise for the first year of the new deal with a promised discussion on the second year.
The union also wants guarantees around working hours for staff.
Schools remain open during the strike, but some students with special needs have been kept home because the assistants are unavailable.
- The union represents 916 workers; including librarians, special needs teaching assistants and secretaries.
- The strike has been ongoing since Monday, but has not yet included pickets at schools.
- Alberta teachers are also currently without a contract, but are still in negotiations with the province.