I love paella but I find it takes too long to cook, especially if I’ve just walked in the door and want something on the table in a hurry. The slow cooker is the perfect solution. All you have to do is add the seafood 30 minutes before you’re ready to eat.
1. Cube chicken and dust with flour. Lightly coat a large, nonstick skillet with cooking spray and set over medium-high heat. Add the oil. Brown the chicken on all sides, for about 3 minutes or just until cooked. Remove from the pan and set aside.
2. Again lightly coat the pan with cooking spray. Add the sausage and cook over medium-high heat for 5 minutes or until cooked through. Remove from the pan with a slotted spoon, draining as much of the fat as possible. Set aside.
3. Wipe out pan and respray. Cook onion and garlic over medium-high heat 4 minutes or until softened. Stir in peppers and cook 3 minutes. Stir in the rice and cook for 1 minute. Add the chicken, sausage, chicken stock, tomatoes, basil, oregano, bay leaf, saffron (if using), salt and pepper. Bring to a boil.
4. Place everything in slow cooker and cook on high setting 3 hours or on low setting for 5 hours. Add shrimp and mussels during last 30 minutes if slow cooker is on the high setting, or during last 60 minutes if on low. Serve garnished with parsley.
• 12 oz skinless boneless chicken breasts
• 3 tbsp all-purpose flour
• 2 tsp vegetable oil
• 6 oz mild Italian sausage, cut into 1/2-inch pieces
• 1 cup chopped onion
• 2 tsp finely chopped garlic
• 1 cup chopped red and green bell pepper
• 1 cup brown rice
• 3 cups chicken stock
• 3 cups chopped plum tomatoes
• 2 tsp dried basil
• 1 tsp dried oregano
• 1 bay leaf
• 1/2 tsp crumbled saffron threads (optional)
• pinch of salt and pepper
• 8 oz raw shrimp, peeled and deveined
• 12 mussels, scrubbed and debearded
• 1/4 cup chopped parsley
Rose Reisman’s Family Favourites (whitecap books)