1. In a wide, cast-iron frying pan, heat olive oil over high heat. Add sausages, peppers and onions and sauté for 2 minutes.
2. Add garlic and continue to cook, stirring, for 5 or 6 minutes or until lightly coloured. Stir in tomatoes and add rosemary. Simmer for 20 to 30 minutes on medium heat until sauce is reduced and sausages are plump. Add basil at the end just before serving.
3. Meanwhile, in a medium saucepot, bring salted water to a boil. Add polenta and cook over medium heat, stirring, for 1 to 2 minutes, reduce heat to low to keep warm. Add cheese and butter; stir until smooth.
4. To serve, spoon polenta onto plates; top each serving with a sausage and spoon pepper and tomato sauce over top. Serve with extra cheese, if desired.
• 30 ml (2 tbsp) olive oil
• 6 smoked sausages
• 3 large mixed sweet peppers, seeded and cut into thin strips
• 2 large sweet onions, halved and thinly sliced
• 2 garlic cloves, smashed
• 500 ml (2 cups) chopped canned tomatoes
• 1 sprig fresh rosemary
• 1/2 bunch fresh basil
• 750 ml (3 cups) chicken stock
• 2 ml (1/2 tsp) salt
• 175 ml (3/4 cup) quick-cook polenta
• 50 ml (1/4 cup) freshly grated Parmesan or Grana Padano, plus extra for serving
• 15 ml (1 tbsp) unsalted butter
The Canadian Press/Fletcher’s Picante Passion Smoked Sausages