• 2 cups plain low-fat Greek yogurt
• 4 to 5 cloves garlic, minced
• Zest and juice of 1 lemon
• 2 tbsp chopped fresh oregano
• 1 tbsp chopped fresh chives
• 1 tsp salt
• 1/2 tsp ground black pepper
• 2 lbs lamb loin, cut into 2-inch chunks
• 2 green bell peppers, cored and cut into large chunks
• 1/4 cup chopped fresh herbs, such as oregano, parsley, chives and thyme
• 1 lemon, cut into wedges
While everyone on the block is doing burgers and dogs, steaks and chops, set yourself apart this summer and grill up something a little bit different.
Lamb kebabs are inexpensive, yet delicious and richly flavoured meat that’s perfect for the grill.
To make these kebabs shine, go with a yogurt marinade using classic Greek flavours. The result is a tender, robust kebab with bold, yet fresh flavours.
Even better is that these kebabs can be prepped a full day ahead. The longer the meat bathes in the yogurt sauce, the better the flavour.
1. In a large bowl, mix together the yogurt, garlic, lemon zest and juice, oregano, chives, salt and pepper. Pour half of the yogurt sauce into a bowl, cover and refrigerate. Add the lamb meat to the remaining yogurt sauce in the bowl and mix to coat well. Refrigerate for at least 1 hour and up to 24.
2. When ready to cook, heat the grill to medium-high. Using an oil-soaked paper towel held with tongs, oil the grill grates.
3. Remove the lamb from the yogurt sauce. Thread the meat onto skewers, alternating with chunks of green bell pepper. Grill the kebabs for 5 minutes per side, turning to cook evenly.
4. Serve the kebabs sprinkled with chopped fresh herbs and lemon wedges for squeezing over them. Serve with the reserved yogurt sauce.