For a backyard get-together, dessert has got to be easy and easy going.
And since you’re probably making the rest of your meal on the grill anyway, why not use it to prep dessert, too?
This dessert pizza is incredibly quick and versatile. Top it with whatever sweet treats you like, or consider making individual ones and having a dessert pizza bar so people can select their own toppings.
Be sure to let the pizza dough rest at room temperature for about 30 minutes before trying to roll it out. Otherwise, it will be too stiff to work with and will resist stretching.
1. Heat a grill to medium-high.
2. Scatter half of the sugar on a counter top. Place the pizza dough over the sugar and roll out into the sugar. Sprinkle the top of the dough with the remaining sugar, then roll again to press the sugar into the top. You should have a rough circle about 12 inches in diameter.
3. Transfer the dough to a baking sheet, then head out to the grill.
4. Use an oil-soaked paper towel held with tongs to oil the grill grates.
5. Transfer pizza dough directly onto the grates. Cook for 3 minutes per side, or until cooked and lightly browned.
6. Return the crust to the baking sheet and immediately sprinkle the chocolate bits over the top. Wait 1 minute to allow the chocolate to melt, then use a butter knife or silicone spatula to spread the melted chocolate evenly over the crust. Sprinkle with the chopped strawberries and the flaked coconut. Enjoy warm.
• 1/4 cup turbinado or demerara sugar, divided
• 16-oz ball refrigerated pizza dough
• Canola or vegetable oil
• 1/2 cup semisweet chocolate bits
• 1 1/2 cups chopped fresh strawberries
• 3/4 cup flaked coconut