This recipe bathes boneless, skinless chicken thighs in a delicious curry marinade. The thighs then get tossed on the grill.
Meanwhile, a bit of the marinade (which was reserved before the chicken was added) is blended with low-fat sour cream for a rich condiment to be dolloped on the chicken after it comes off the grill. The result is a moist and richly flavoured chicken curry that is as comfortable solo on a paper plate at a barbecue as it is on a plate of rice indoors.
1. In a blender, combine the chicken broth, onion, garlic, ginger, turmeric, curry leaves, cinnamon stick, cumin seeds, peppercorns, coriander, salt, lemon juice and honey. Puree until very smooth. Transfer a third of the mixture to a small saucepan and set aside.
2. Pour the remaining mixture in a large zip-close plastic bag. Add the chicken thighs, then seal the bag and gently massage to ensure all of the meat is coated by the marinade. Refrigerate for at least 30 minutes, or up to overnight.
3. Meanwhile, set the saucepan of reserved marinade over medium heat. Bring to a simmer and cook until reduced and quite thick, about 10 minutes. Set aside to cool.
4. When ready to cook, heat the grill to medium-high. Coat the grates with oil using an oil-soaked paper towel grasped with tongs.
5. Remove the chicken from the marinade. Discard the marinade. Place the chicken on the grill and cook for 6 to 7 minutes per side, or until the meat reaches 165 F.
6. While the chicken cooks, in a small bowl combine the reserved marinade and the sour cream. To serve, drizzle the sour cream mixture over the chicken.
The associated press
• 1 cup chicken broth
• 1 small onion, quartered
• 1/2 head garlic, cloves peeled
• 1-inch chunk fresh ginger
• 1-inch chunk fresh turmeric
• 2 sprigs fresh curry leaves
• 2-inch cinnamon stick
• 1/2 tsp cumin seeds
• 1/2 tsp black peppercorns
• 1/4 tsp ground coriander
• 1 tsp salt
• Juice of 1/2 lemon
• 1/4 cup honey
• 1 1/2 lbs boneless, skinless chicken thighs
• 1 cup low-fat sour cream