Like many summer favourites, chicken salad has all the makings of a refreshing, light meal, especially when it’s mayonnaise free.
1. Heat the grill to medium-high.
2. Place the chicken breasts between sheets of plastic wrap. Using a meat mallet or rolling pin, pound the meat to an even 1/2 inch thickness. Season with salt and black pepper.
3. Soak a crumpled paper towel with the oil. Clasping the paper towel with tongs, oil the grates of the grill. Grill the chicken breasts for 4 minutes per side, or until the chicken is cooked through and reaches 165 F. Set aside to cool, then cut into small chunks.
4. In a large bowl, combine the berbere with the yogurt, Peppadew peppers, fennel, grapes, almonds and the cooled chopped chicken. Mix well, then season with salt and pepper.
5. Fill each pita pocket with a quarter of the salad greens, then spoon some of the chicken salad into it.
Start to finish: 45 minutes
• 1 pound boneless, skinless chicken breasts
• Salt and ground black pepper
• Canola or vegetable oil
• 1 to 2 teaspoons berbere seasoning
• 5.3 ounce container non-fat plain Greek yogurt
• 1/2 cup chopped Peppadew peppers
• 1/2 bulb fresh fennel, trimmed and diced
• 1 cup red grapes, halved
• 1/4 cup slivered, toasted almonds
• 4 small whole-grain pita pockets
• 2 cups salad greens