• 1 large whole pineapple
• 3 boneless, skinless chicken breasts
• Salt and ground black pepper
• Ground cumin
• Cayenne pepper
• 1/2 small red onion, diced
• 1 jalapeno, seeds removed, diced
• 2 avocados, pitted and chopped
• Juice of 1 lime
• 1 tbsp chopped fresh cilantro
Using pineapple bark in the same way you would use a cedar plank to grill, infuses the meat with a delicate sweetness, and keeps it moist and juicy. The enzymes in the pineapple also help to tenderize the meat.
1. Cut off the top and bottom of the pineapple. These can be discarded. Stand the pineapple upright. Cut the skin off the pineapple, removing it in 6 long strips. To do this, begin cutting at the top of the fruit and slice downward, letting the knife follow the curve of the fruit. Leave about 1/2 inch of flesh on each strip of skin. Rotate the fruit and repeat. Set aside.
2. Place each chicken breast between sheets of plastic wrap and use a meat mallet to pound to an even 1/2 inch thickness. Season each on both sides with salt, pepper, cumin and cayenne. Lay each piece of chicken over the cut side of one of the slices of pineapple skin. Set a second strip of pineapple skin, cut side down, on top. Use kitchen twine to tie the bundles to hold them together. Refrigerate the chicken bundles for about 30 minutes.
3. When ready to cook, heat one side of the grill to high, the other side to low.
4. Meanwhile, cut the skinned pineapple (the flesh) into thick circles. Use a small round cookie or biscuit cutter (or a paring knife) to cut out and discard the core from each round.
5. When grill is hot, arrange chicken bundles on the cooler side of the grill. Cook for 15 minutes per side, or until the chicken reaches 165 F at the centre. During the final 10 minutes, add the pineapple rings and cook for 5 minutes per side.
6. Guacamole: In bowl combine red onion, jalapeno, avocados, lime juice and cilantro. Gently mix then season with salt and pepper.
7. Place one chicken bundle on each plate. Set grilled pineapple ring next to it, then spoon some of the guacamole into the centre of and over the pineapple ring.