For an added bit of sweetness in these cakelets, use a wooden spoon handle to make a small hole in the centre of each one and fill it with some icing before spreading the top with icing.
1. In bowl, whisk flour, baking powder, cinnamon, nutmeg and baking soda; set aside.
2. In bowl, whisk maple syrup, sugar, eggs, butter and vanilla until smooth. Stir flour mix into maple syrup mix and stir to combine. Stir in carrots.
3. Scoop batter into 12 greased or lined muffin tins. Bake in centre of 350 F (180 C) oven for about 25 minutes or until cake tester inserted in centre comes out clean. Let cool completely.
4. Cream-Cheese-Maple Frosting: In bowl, beat cream cheese and maple syrup. Gradually add icing sugar and beat until fluffy and smooth. Spread each cakelet with frosting and sprinkle with sprinkles if desired.
Emily Richards, professional home economist, cookbook author and tv celebrity chef. for more, visit emilyrichardscooks.ca
• 2 cups (500 mL) flour
• 2 tsp (10 mL) baking powder
• 1 tsp (5 mL) cinnamon
• ½ tsp (2 mL) ground nutmeg
• ¼ tsp (1 mL) baking soda
• ¾ cup (175 mL) pure maple syrup
• ½ cup (125 mL) brown sugar
• 2 eggs
• ½ cup (125 mL) butter, melted
• ½ tsp (2 mL) vanilla extract
• 1 ½ cups (375 mL) grated raw carrots
• 4 oz (125 g) light cream cheese
• 2 tbsp (25 mL) pure maple syrup
• 1 1/3 cups (325 mL) icing sugar